Jul 17, 2024  
Catalog 2023-2024 
Catalog 2023-2024 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information

Student Records and Transcripts


Student academic records are maintained in Enrollment Services. These records may include admission applications, transfer credit evaluations, curriculum substitutions, degree evaluations, and your academic transcript.

You may view your unofficial transcript or order an official transcript through your My Chemeketa account. If you owe a financial obligation to the College, your official transcript will be withheld until the debt is paid in full.

In order to help us keep your records updated, please notify Enrollment Services of any changes to your information.

Social Security Number Disclosure Statement

The College will use student Social Security numbers (SSN) for keeping records, complying with federal and state requirements, doing research, reporting, extending credit, and collecting debts. You may be required to provide your SSN to the College for compliance with specific federal and state regulations, such as applying for financial aid, loans, grant programs, and tax reporting requirements. Providing your SSN means that you consent to the use of the number in the manner described. Your SSN will not be given to the general public. You will be issued a Chemeketa student identification (ID) number (K#) to be used as your primary ID.

Please note that per OAR 589-004-0400, if you choose not to provide your SSN, you will not be denied any rights as a student.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Notice


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution. These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day the college receives a request for access. Students should submit written requests to the Registrar’s Office that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the requested records are not maintained by the Registrar’s Office, the student will be notified of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. Students who wish to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, the College will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position; members of the Threat Assessment Team; a person serving on the Board of Education; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the College who performs an institutional service or function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the College. Upon request, the College may disclose education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

         Family Policy Compliance Office
         U.S. Department of Education
         400 Maryland Avenue, SW
         Washington, D.C. 20202

Directory Information at Chemeketa:

Directory information is defined as that information which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Designated directory information at Chemeketa Community College includes the following:

  • Name (first, middle, last, and current preferred first name)
  • Credit hour status (enrollment status, e.g. fulltime, part-time, half-time, not enrolled)
  • Dates and terms of enrollment
  • Diplomas, certificate or degree earned and date earned
  • Certificate or degree candidacy and anticipated graduation date (including GED certificate and Chemeketa high school diploma)
  • Athletic honors and statistics
  • Height and weight of athletes
  • Honors, awards, scholarships (released only to other academic institutions; or to the general public for Chemeketa-sponsored events)

You may withhold directory information by notifying the Enrollment Center in writing by filling out a Request for Non-Disclosure form; please note that such withholding requests are binding for all information to all parties other than for educational purposes. You should consider all aspects of the decision to withhold directory information prior to filing such a request. Such designation will call for Chemeketa not to release any or all of this directory information. Any future requests for such information from non-institutional persons or organizations will be denied. Regardless of the effect upon you, Chemeketa assumes no liability as a result of honoring your instructions that such information be withheld. Although the initial request may be filed at any time, requests for non-disclosure will be honored by the College until removed by the student. Chemeketa will honor your request to withhold directory information, but cannot assume responsibility to contact you for subsequent permission to release information.

See the list below of the disclosures that postsecondary institutions may make without consent.

FERPA permits the disclosure of personally identifiable information (PII) from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. The College may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student:

  • To other school officials, including instructors, within the College whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in §99.31(a)(1) (i)(B)(1) - (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (§99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of §99.34. (§99.31(a) (2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local educational authorities, such as a state postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the College’s state-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of federal- or state-supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with federal legal requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid, determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; administer student aid programs; or improve instruction. (§99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. ((§99.31(a)(7)
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to §99.36. (§99.31(a) (10))
  • Information the school has designated as “directory information” under §99.37. (§99.31(a) (11))
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding. (§99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of §99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any federal, state, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))
  • The disclosure concerns sex offenders and other individuals required to register under section 17010 of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.

FERPA Annual Notice Addendum

As of Jan. 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which your education records and personally identifiable information (PII) contained in such records, including your Social Security number, grades, or other private information, may be accessed without your consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (“Federal and State Authorities”) may allow access to your records and PII without your consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to your education records and PII without your consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when we object to or do not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive your PII, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without your consent PII from your educational records, and they may track your participation in education and other programs by linking such PII to other personal information about you that they obtain from other Federal or State data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

Solomon Amendment Disclosure

The Solomon Amendment requires by law that the College release to U.S. military recruiters the following student information: name, address, telephone numbers, date of birth, educational level, academic major, and degrees awarded. Completing the “Request for Non-Disclosure” form mentioned under the “Directory Information at Chemeketa” section (above) will cause Chemeketa to withhold your information from military recruiters.

Grading System

The responsibility for evaluating student performance and for assigning grades rests with the instructor.

The responsibility for demonstrating competency within the framework of a course’s outcomes and criteria rests with you.

You have the right to know how and on what basis your performance is being evaluated.

Final grades are issued at the end of each term. Letter grades are assigned points according to the following system:


A/4 Excellent. An indication that you have met the stated outcomes and course criteria at the highest level, demonstrating mastery of required knowledge and skills.

B/3 Very Capable. An indication that you have met the stated outcomes and course criteria at a high level, demonstrating mastery of most required knowledge and skills.

C/2 Competent. An indication that you have met the stated outcomes and course criteria with sufficient mastery of enough of the required knowledge and skills to be capable of success in other courses that require this course as a prerequisite.

D/1 Limited success. An indication that you have only minimally met the stated outcomes and criteria of the course but may not have sufficient mastery of enough of the required knowledge and skills to be capable of success in other courses that require this course as a prerequisite.

F/0 Failure. An indication that you have not adequately met the stated outcomes and criteria of the course.

IB/0, IC/0, ID/0, IF/0 Incomplete Incomplete Assigned when some essential requirement of the course has not been completed and additional time is granted by the instructor for completion of coursework. An “I” does not satisfy a prerequisite for another course. For more information, see the “Incomplete” section below.

P/0 Pass. Acceptable Performance. A grade of “P” represents satisfactory achievement which would have been graded “C” or better on the regular grading scale, but is given instead of a letter grade.

NP/0 No Pass. Unacceptable Performance. Does not satisfy requirements for entry into courses where prerequisites are specified.

CEU Continuing education unit earned.

NOC Continuing education unit not earned.

Your grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the total credit hours (except I, P, NP, and PL) into the total points earned.

The following marks may appear on your transcript and are assigned by Enrollment Services:

Mark Meaning

X Audit. This mark is used when you participate in the class but do not wish to receive a grade or credit for the course.

M Missing Grade. This mark appears when an instructor neglects to enter a grade for the course. Students receiving an M should contact the instructor as soon as possible so that a grade change can be submitted to correct the omitted grade.

W Withdrawal. A W mark will appear on your transcript for any class dropped after the deadline to receive a refund and prior to the end of the sixth week of term. Courses marked with a W are not reflected in GPA or total credits calculated.


Incomplete grades are awarded at your request and at the discretion of the instructor. A contract detailing the conditions for completion of work is required and must be completed prior to the end of the term. The default deadline for incomplete work to be submitted is automatically set to the end of the following term, but may be extended for up to one year at the instructor’s discretion. When the requirements of the contract have been met, the instructor will assign the appropriate grade. If the contract is not fulfilled by the deadline, the “I” grade will revert to the specified letter grade assigned at the time the incomplete contract was created.

Auditing Courses

If you enroll in credit courses but do not wish to receive grades or credits, you may audit the courses. You must pay full tuition and fees when auditing a course. Pick up and turn in an Audit Request Form at the Enrollment Center on the Salem Campus or from staff at any other College location before the end of the fourth week of the term.

Grade Changes

Awarding grades to students is the responsibility of the instructor of the course in which you are registered. Once awarded, grades are final. They may not be changed except where evidence is presented (within one calendar year after the grade is assigned) that an error has occurred.

Pass/No Pass

A pass (P) grade indicates satisfactory completion of the course (equivalent to a C or better). A pass grade satisfies the prerequisite of C or better required for entry into some courses.

A no pass (NP) grade means the course was not satisfactorily completed and no credit was granted.

Some courses offer the option to choose between P/NP and a letter grade, and some courses may be taken for a letter grade only.

You are limited to receiving no more than 16 P/NP credits for an associate degree and eight P/NP credits for the Oregon Transfer Module or a certificate. Transfer students should be aware that four-year institutions limit the number of P/NP credits that may be applied to a degree.

If you’d like to be graded P/NP, and the course qualifies, you must complete the P/NP Request form, obtain your instructor’s approval by way of his/her signature, and submit the request form to Enrollment Services by the end of the fourth week of the term. P/NP grades cannot be changed back to a standard letter grade.

Continuing Education Classes

A Continuing Education Unit (CEU) course is one that provides general or technical information that is applicable to the professional or technical field and will be of value wherever you are employed. CEUs are not equivalent to credit hours and therefore cannot be used toward Chemeketa credit certificates or degrees. Some programs offering CEU classes offer CEU certificates. One CEU is awarded for each 10 hours or their equivalent. Chemeketa transcript records are available for CEU hours.

Tuition for CEU courses is charged regardless of the number of credit hours for which the student enrolls.

CEU classes do not meet the federal requirements for financial aid or veterans’ benefits.

Repeating a Course


Please consult your academic advisor before you repeat a course. Students cannot repeat a course beyond the maximum allowed number of attempts (generally 3). A student may appeal to register for a subsequent attempt through an academic appeals process based on extenuating circumstances and presentation of a plan to successfully complete the course. Meet with an advisor to develop a success plan for completing the course and include your plan with your appeal.

If you repeat a course Summer 2020 or later, only the latest attempt with the highest grade will count toward your credit hours, degree, and GPA.

All attempted courses will show on your transcript, but the courses that do not count toward your GPA will be marked as repeated.

Criteria for a course to be considered repeated is below:

  • Both the original course and repeated course(s) must have been taken at Chemeketa
  • Both the original course and repeated course(s) must be equivalent

If you repeated a course prior to Summer 2020, before the above rules took effect, you should meet with an advisor to discuss repeating the course.

Credits from Other Colleges or Universities

Credits from other institutions may be accepted toward degree requirements, if they were completed at any regionally-accredited college or university.

You must be a current credit, degree-seeking Chemeketa student to request a transcript evaluation. To request an evaluation, complete and submit the Request for Evaluation and Transfer of Previous Credit form (found on chemeketa.edu) to Enrollment Services. Submit this request after you have requested official transcripts from all schools where you have previous coursework. Transcript evaluations are performed in the order in which they are received.

All transcripts received by Enrollment Services become the property of Chemeketa. Enrollment Services will not provide copies of transcripts from other institutions. Enrollment Services is responsible for determining acceptance of transfer work to meet College requirements. Students should plan to meet with an advisor to review program requirements.

Transfer credit accepted by Chemeketa appears on the transcript under the heading “Transfer Credit” and “Other Chemeketa Credit” on your official transcript. The number of hours accepted from other institutions is recorded, but the grades are not included in your grade point average (GPA).

T Transfer C or better - 0.0
TD Transfer D - 0.0

International Credit

In order to receive credit toward a Chemeketa certificate or degree, it is your responsibility if you have transcripts (credits) from international schools to have them translated (if necessary) and evaluated course-bycourse by a service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

Alternate Approaches to Credit

In addition to regular coursework, you may earn Credit for Prior Learning (CPL). This includes credit by exam, industry certifications, institutional challenge exams, military credit, prior learning portfolio, and professional licensure. Credit awarded through CPL must be directly applicable to meet requirements for general education, a certificate, a degree or electives as outlined in the College catalog. Chemeketa will evaluate the following for cllege credit: Advanced Placement, Challenge Exam, College Level Entrance Examination Program, Credit for Professional Certification, International Baccalaureate, Military Service Credit, and Prior Learning Portfolio. A maximum of 25% of a degree or certificate may be recorded for Prior Learning Portfolio.

CPL will not be graded or calculated in the Chemeketa grade point average (GPA) except for Challenge Exams and Prior Learning Portfolio. Each type of CPL will appear with a unique notation on a Chemeketa transcript. CPL may not be used to establish the residency requirement.

EC Credit by Exam - 0.0
MI Military - 0.0
PB Proficiency/Assessment Based - 0.0
PL Prior Learning - 0.0

Advanced Placement (AP)

If you have taken college-level courses in high school under the Advanced Placement (AP) program you may be eligible to receive college credit pending official copies of test results. Request your official AP transcript to be sent to Enrollment Services. Credit awarded will vary based on scores received. A list of AP exams accepted by Chemeketa and credit received is available on our website.

Challenge Exam


Challenge exams are prepared by the College department directly responsible for the instruction of the courses. There is a nonrefundable fee for each exam. If you successfully complete the exam(s), you must pay tuition and fees for the course(s) before the grade(s) are recorded on your transcript. Contact Testing Services on the Salem Campus for more information about earning college credits by challenge exam or visit our website.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)


If you wish to take a College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam, schedule a testing time through Testing Services, after you have registered for the exam on the CLEP website.

If you have taken the CLEP exam, you may be eligible to receive college credit pending official copies of test results. Request your official CLEP transcript be sent to Enrollment Services when you register to take a CLEP exam. Credit awarded will vary based on scores received. A list of CLEP exams accepted by Chemeketa and credit received is available on our website.

Credit for Professional Certification (CPC)

In specific career and technical education programs, Chemeketa may award credit for certified professional career training. If you are enrolling in programs such as Criminal Justice, Emergency Medical Technology/Paramedic, Early Childhood Education, Fire Science, or Apprenticeship, you may be eligible for a waiver of some basic preparation courses if defined criteria are met. There is a fee for each course assessed. For more information, contact your program advisor or Advising and Counseling Services. (Note: nationally certified paramedics pursuing the Paramedic program may receive 50 credits through CPC, 40 credits for the paramedic certification and 10 credits for the EMT Basic.)

International Baccalaureate (IB)

If you have completed International Baccalaureate (IB) exams you may be eligible to receive college credit based on the official exam scores. The official International Baccalaureate certificate is required in order to receive credit. Request an official IB transcript be sent to Enrollment Services. A list of IB exams accepted by Chemeketa and credit received is available on our website.

Military Service Credit

Students using any type of federal Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefit, including vocational readiness and employment are required to have all prior credit history evaluated. Chemeketa awards college credit for military training and coursework based on American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations included in military transcripts. Chemeketa currently does not evaluate military experience. Request an official military transcript be sent to Enrollment Services and submit the Request for Evaluation and Transfer of Previous Credit form.

Prior Learning Portfolio (PLP)

In specific career and technical education programs and transfer subjects, Chemeketa may award credit for documented knowledge and skills that apply to the program in which you enroll. These may be skills you acquired through working, on-the-job training, volunteer service, noncredit courses or workshops, individual study, homemaking, and travel. There is a fee for each course assessed. Students register for PLP121. For more information, call 503.399.5114.

Academic Recognition


Chemeketa recognizes outstanding academic performance by placing students on one of three lists:

  • Honor Roll recognizes students who earn a term grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 while completing six or more credit hours.
  • The Dean’s List recognizes students who earn a term GPA between 3.5 and 3.99 while completing 12 or more credit hours.
  • The President’s List recognizes students who earn a perfect 4.0 GPA while completing 12 or more credit hours.

Students who qualify for academic recognition receive email notification of their honor and may choose to download documents that commemorate their achievement.

Academic Standing


The college requires credit-seeking students to maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students who are not meeting academic standards may not be eligible for continued enrollment, per college procedure #5030. Financial aid recipients must ensure they meet the financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy, which may have separate standards in order for students to maintain financial aid eligibility.

Academic Standing Review

Chemeketa wants to help you reach your academic goals. To accomplish this, the College has initiated an Academic Standing Review that provides intervention at certain points throughout your enrollment at Chemeketa. These intervention points are determined by term and/ or cumulative grade point average (GPA) and number of attempted credits. Listed below are the criteria used for determining academic standing:

Good Standing; student meets all below standards:

  • A student who has a 2.00 or higher cumulative GPA
  • A student who has a 2.00 or higher term GPA

Academic Warning; student meets at least one of the below criteria:

  • A student who has earned a term GPA below 2.00,
  • A student who has attempted 1-36 credits and has below a 2.00 cumulative GPA

Academic Probation; student meets at least one of the below criteria:

  • A student is already on Academic Warning or Academic Probation standing and has a consecutive term below 2.00 and has attempted 18 or more credits, or
  • Any student who has attempted 37 or more credits and has a cumulative GPA below 2.00

Academic Suspension

A student meeting all of the criteria below will be administratively dropped from any courses that they are enrolled in for the suspension term. A student suspended based on their performance in spring term will be dropped from summer and fall enrollment. They will be eligible to enroll in fall term classes once the reinstatement process is complete. Students will be suspended from enrollment for a period no less than one academic term. The student may appeal their suspension through the Academic Standing Review Committee or designee.

  • A student who is in Academic Probation standing and has 37 or more attempted credits
  • Has earned a term GPA below a 2.00
  • Has a cumulative GPA below 2.00

Academic Reinstatement

Once suspended, a student will not be allowed to register for credit classes for a period of one academic term. After the one academic term, a student must complete the reinstatement process below.

  • Meet with a Chemeketa Counselor and submit an Academic Reinstatement Form prior to the start of the academic term the student plans to enroll
  • Once the Academic Reinstatement process is complete, a student will be able to enroll in courses
  • Students reinstated will return to Academic Probation status

Academic Standing Appeal for Exception

If suspended, a student with extenuating circumstances may file an appeal with the Academic Standing Review Committee or designee.

  • Students filing for an appeal must meet with a Chemeketa Counselor prior to submitting the Academic Standing Appeal for Exception Form
  • Extenuating circumstances that may be considered include: personal illness or accident, serious illness or death within immediate family, or other circumstances beyond a student’s reasonable control
  • Examples of documentation that could be included: an obituary notice, divorce decree, or letter from a physician, attorney, social services agency, employer, etc. Letters from friends and family members do not meet standards for appropriate documentation.
  • The outcome of an appeal may include a denial or return back to Academic Probation status
  • Students will be notified via their My Chemeketa email of the results of the appeal and any restrictions or conditions pertaining to your appeal
  • Upon suspension, students will be administratively dropped from their courses. If the Appeal for Exception is approved, students will need to re-enroll in courses. Re-entry into the classes that a student was dropped from is not guaranteed

Questions? Call Advising & Counseling at 503.399.5120 or email academicstanding@chemeketa.edu

Course Prerequisites

Prerequisites are specified in the course descriptions. These are conditions you must meet before enrolling in a course. It is your responsibility to fulfill the prerequisite.

Some prerequisites indicate you must complete certain preparatory courses or have the consent of the course instructor. To gain consent, contact the instructor before registering. Consent is based upon the instructor’s assessment of your readiness to enroll in the course.

If you do not meet the prerequisite for a course, you may be dropped.

Chemeketa Online


Chemeketa is a leader in online education in Oregon with over 20 years’ experience in online programming. We offer more than 300 credit and noncredit courses each term. Chemeketa students have the opportunity to complete the Oregon Transfer Module (OTM), as well as numerous degrees and certificates.


  • Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT) Degree Requirements  
  • Associate of General Studies, AGS
  • Associate of Science Oregon Transfer in
  • Business, ASOT
  • Associate of Applied Science, AAS
  • Accounting, AAS
  • Accounting Administrative Assistant, AAS
  • Administrative Office Professional, AAS
  • Criminal Justice, AAS
  • Hospitality and Tourism Management, AAS
  • Management, AAS
  • Medical Administrative Assistant, AAS
  • Procurement and Supply Chain Management, AAS
  • Speech-Language Pathology Assistant, AASS


  • Accounting Certificates
    • Accounting
    • Data Analytics for Accounting
    • Payroll
    • Tax Preparation
  • Business Technology Certificates
    • Business Technology
    • Legal Administrative Assistant
    • Office Fundamentals
  • Hospitality and Tourism Management Certificates
    • Event Management
    • Food and Beverage Management
    • Hospitality and Tourism Management
    • Lodging Management
    • Tourism and Travel Management
  • Business Management Certificates
    • Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
    • Procurement
    • Procurement Management
    • Sustainability in Management
  • Speech-Language Pathology Assistant

Learning Online

In online classes, you attend by logging into eLearn, Chemeketa’s online learning management system, and completing independent online activities according to the schedule and due dates set by your instructor. Access to all of your online activities will be through eLearn. So long as you are meeting the instructor’s due dates, you may work on assignments at a time and place of your choosing.

To learn more about what to expect and how to prepare for online learning, go to online.chemeketa.edu to view the eLearn Start Guide.

If you have any questions regarding online classes or the schedule, please contact Chemeketa Online at 503.399.7873 or email online@chemeketa.edu.

Cooperative Work Experience/Internship


As a student, you may be qualified to participate in an internship in your career field through the Cooperative Work Experience (CWE) program. This program allows you to combine your classroom studies with workrelated experiences. CWE is offered every term, through every academic program and to any Chemeketa student with 12 college credits completed with a 2.0 or higher GPA

In this program, a CWE faculty or program faculty member assists you in finding a qualified training site. Your current job may qualify if it relates to your studies and if you are developing new skills.

It helps you expand your knowledge and experience in your selected program while you earn college credit. You gain valuable references for future employment, and you can make the transition from school to career a smooth process.

See your program advisor to determine if CWE is a requirement for degree completion.

Job readiness classes are offered to all students. These classes include Résumé and Job Search Correspondence, Interviewing for Success, and Career Jump Start. These classes are listed under “Job Search” in the Schedule of Classes.

Evening and Weekend Classes

Chemeketa offers evening and weekend formats that provide a full range of courses leading to degrees. You can earn required credits in mathematics, science, writing, and more.

A supportive weekend environment includes a community room and student services. The innovative format of hybrid courses allows students to begin any term and finish first-year requirements in one year.

Independent Study


You may receive credit for an independent study of topics not included in the College’s curriculum. If you are ready to learn on your own and are interested in studying a topic, contact your academic advisor or an instructor who teaches that subject. With that person, you can explore the possibility of an independent study project.

Occupational Skills Training


You can earn college credit and a certificate of completion for work-based training with cooperating employers/training sites throughout the state. Instruction is based on a personalized curriculum drawn from position descriptions and created for you by the skills training coordinator, the employer/site supervisor, and your case manager. Relevant classes may also be part of the training if those classes are deemed essential to achieving the goal of the plan. Workers’ compensation coverage is included. For more information, see Occupational Skills Training  in the Programs of Study.

On-the-Job Evaluation is designed to provide a way to clarify vocational goals and assess capabilities and potential for a designated job or training area. This is a noncredit, nongraded process that is monitored according to a personalized outcome assessment and provides workers’ compensation at the training site.

Student-Instructor Conferences

You may confer with your instructors regarding class assignments and methods of study. Office hours are posted in each faculty office area and are listed on each course syllabus.

Service Learning, Study Abroad & Virtual Exchange


Chemeketa provides opportunities to build your global skillset. Some happen right here in the district, some through virtual exchange opportunities between Chemeketa and our overseas partners, and other opportunities through service learning or study abroad. You can earn college transfer credits through language, social science and arts related courses that are taught by Chemeketa faculty. You can also get advice on how to build these opportunities into your academic plan at the 4 year university system. For specific offerings each year contact the Student Equity & Intercultural Programs office or visit chemeketa.edu/international.

Chemeketa provides opportunities to build your global skillset. Some happen right here in the district, some through virtual exchange opportunities between Chemeketa and our overseas partners, and other opportunities through service learning or study abroad. You can earn college transfer credits through language, social science and arts related courses that are taught by Chemeketa faculty. You can also get advice on how to build these opportunities into your academic plan at the four year university system. For specific offerings each year contact the Student Equity & Intercultural Programs office or visit international@chemeketa.edu.